History of Malitbog, Bukidnon
The pioneers of the municipality were a group of Bukidnon tribe who has a small settlement along a spring called Abo-on.
As their number increased, they began to call the entire area as Abo-on. However, there were divergent opinions to have this name because Abo-on refer only to a small cluster of settlers in the area.
The name was then changed to Malitbog, on the account of Malitbog River transversing their settlement and likewise the principal source of fishing, the native’s favorite livelihood. Their seat of government near the Malitbog River was also another consideration.
By virtue of Executive No. 42, dated June 25, 1963, Malitbog became a 5th Class municipality by operation of the provision of Section 2 of Republic Act 1515 and considered a regular municipality pursuant to Republic Act 23 and 88 duly signed by President Diosdado Macapagal.